Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Funny Deal-cutting Italian

So I'm sitting at my computer, in one of those guilty, sneak-away-moments that we mothers try to steal away on occassion in a bathroom, or in between filling sippy-cups, making up fun games, referreeing arguments between the kids, putting somebody down to nap, or cleaning up the latest mess--reading the newest Reader's Digest. My eyes just happened to fall upon an article titled, "To Serve With Love: How A.J. Jacobs survived a month of playing the perfect husband." Believe it or not, what caught my eye was the big title about love and serving-NOT the part about the perfect husband--I am perfectly satisfied with the man I've got now! :) Love you, babe!!!

Anyway, getting back to my guilty-pleasure...reading this article, which happens to be unusually long for Reader's Digest...which I come to realize is actually a "book excerpt"--hence, the LONG. So I'm reading and Jonny walks up to me, in his semi-whinning voice and says,

"Mom, whatdya wanna do?"

Me--"Well, I really want to finish reading this article."

Jonny--"No! I wanna do something with you that's NOT boring!

Me--(quickly thinking of something so that I can still keep reading) "How about I throw grapes to you and you can catch them in your mouth???"

Jonny--"Olives."

Me--"Deal."

4 comments:

Julie Snell said...

Awesome! I can just picture you throwing olives to Jonny while reading. So, was the article worth a blog post or getting the book it came from to read?

sfitz said...

That's SO great! But how did you keep reading while throwing olives? Did you "accidently" throw them across the room and under the couch to buy to a minute to read while he hunted them down? You're awesome!

Wendy said...

I love that kid... the Caruana men must be so proud! And Lol, that article was from the book David read, and I am still reading I believe. AJ Jacobs wrote the book about living biblically for a year. So good. If you are interested let me know and I can mail it to you when i am done :)

Grandpa said...

Jonny. That'sa my boy!

Lotsa love, Grandpa