Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Good Book, Good Music, and Get Alone

You won't be hearing much from me over the next few days because MY MOM IS HERE!!! It's been fantastic having her around, and it really feels so much more like home when she is here. Plus, it's been in the 60's since she's arrived! A very fun change, indeed!

Some new friends of ours (who happen to play Settlers! and soccer!) recommended a book that I'm LOVING. It's "Peace Like A River" by Leif Enger. He's a FANTASTIC, STELLAR writer. Josh and I have been reading his book out loud to each other (ok, I've mostly been reading to Josh). We've laughed out loud so many times, and the book isn't supposed to be a comedy by any stretch. He's just a real artist with words. And, like another favorite author (love you, Lloyd Douglass), I'd like to have a dictionary next to me when I'm reading. This guy knows words. Okay, enough. Go check it out at the library. It's in the fiction section.

Next, I just heard of The Micheal Gungor Band. Am I the only one who's never heard his music??? Seriously. It's a crimin' shame cuz he's famous for co-writing "Friend of God" with beloved Israel Houghton. If you like David Crowder or Hillsong, you might check him out. He rocks. And just moved to Denver to start rediscovering what it means to be the church of Christ to the world. He sounds VERY cool.

Last, I've recently taken the advice of my dear Bible study teacher, Ann Wickam, and spent about 15 minutes in worship before I opened my Bible to read. I flipped on a cd last Wednesday (I have TONS of great ones) and just sat in quiet meditation with my head on my desk, all by myself. I haven't listened--JUST listened--to a worship album in YEARS. Can you believe that???! Me?! Somebody who LOVES to praise God through song? Crazy, I know. I was so encouraged by this time and I received God's Word into my heart so differently after having spent some very intimate moments with Him just prior. I felt His love in the way that I long to, but don't regularly.

In spite of this awesome, fulfilling time with Jesus, I haven't spent time in worship and prayer and the Bible every day since. I was so discouraged by this reality. When I told Ann about it, she encouraged me to pray about this and ask Jesus to increase my appetite for Him again and again until He does. Make me hungry for You, Lord. So that's what I'm praying, in faith, believing that God WILL answer this desire--to desire Him more.

And for all of you believers out there who have a HUGE collection of awesome worship albums, but don't use them for your private meditation--START NOW. Get alone, get quiet, and hear what the Spirit is saying. I'm sure He's got something to say.

That's it, folks.

2 comments:

Noblekain said...

You know what I love? I love that I can relate to the things you and Josh are going through. Not that I wish to find you in the same boat I am (i.e. struggling to stay focused and find passion for Christ), but it is refreshing to hear of others trials and how they're dealing with them through their insightfulness, gathered wisdom, failures and successes. It makes it so real, and not so depressing to be reassured that the struggles I'm having are not only common, but are a regular part of that growth with Jesus. it's so easy to get down-in-the-dumps, and dpressed when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

Even cooler is, with these blogs (as well as phone calls), lessons learned while specific to your needs, are not just for you! Jesus has a sneaky-cool way of pulling us together to share in the growth.

Anywhoodle, just thought I'd share, and also say, "I'll give it a try!" Plus, I'll check out those pieces of media, and let you know my thoughts.

Wendy said...

I love you lolly and I am so glad mom is there to play, though i am a little bitter I am not there too. Make sure she comes back with lots o pictures. :) XOXO