Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Farming Question

Joanna brought up a GREAT point on her last comment--how do I keep the veggies fresh once I pick them??? Which actually begs the question--WHEN do I pick them? :) I know for a few of them--I wrote down the approximate harvesting dates on a couple of them, but I forgot to do it on the onions, carrots, and corn--all of the stuff I can't actually SEE. Brilliant. I know.


And HOW does one pick lettuce, onions, and broccoli??? Any tips, people?! Please--where's a real farmer when you need him?! Oh, and I'm cracking up right now, because Caleb just casually walked by, on his way to the television, chewing on a toy in one hand, and not stopping, made sure that he wacked my computer keyboard with his other hand, deleting a letter as he went by. All in a day's work for that kid. I can't wait for all of you to enjoy Caleb's Caleb-ness. He is SO deliberate and hilarious. With dimples to boot. Such a tough, smart, determined little guy.


ANYWAY, forgive my rabbit-trail. I would love some gardening suggestions, people. Muchas Gracias!
p.s. Here's a picture of our little pet "Mantis". He was free with the jalepeno plant we purchased last weekend at the Farmer's Market. We kept him in the kitchen window for a couple of days and here he is, helping me out by eating one of the ants that was roaming around my sink. Josh came in to Hannah yelling,
"DAD! DAD! Mantis has got an ant by its head and he's eating its abdomen! Oh, gross!! Now he's eating the thorax!"
Ms. Courter would be so proud, Hannah!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

That is so wrong but awesome! Does that little guy just roam around not in a cage? (i am asking about the Mantis, not Caleb :)

Lolly Caruana said...

so funny! Yes, Mantis was cage-free, until he abandoned the plant in search of food. Surprisingly, I wasn't bothered by the thought of him roaming about in the house, but once I found him on our kitchen window, I decided he would be a happier little guy in the "wild". He's now enjoying all of the bugs in our backyard.

Wendy said...

That makes me feel much better :)
Thanks!

Joanna Reynolds said...

Thanks for sort of not answering my question. I am really curious because it looks like you are going to have a lot of lettuce...and that my friend will be a lot of salads! What are you going to do with all your veggies? Have you researched online to answer your other questions?

Lolly Caruana said...

too bad you're not my neighbor--otherwise you'd be getting some of my lettuce--and corn!!! :) thankfully, i have lots of great neighbors to share my extra bounty! The lettuce is cool because it's more of a pick-as-you-go sort of veggie. I LOVE that. And it harvests quite a few times, so you're right about having a lot. I partly planted it for looks--I'd seen it in a planter at Disneyland and thought it was so pretty. Pretty and edible?! Count me in! The rest of it is more of an experiment to see what I can grow. Next year I'll probably adjust it a bit, but I'll have to post my "lessons learned" after I've learned them! :) I still don't know about the onions, corn, and carrots, but I know I'll find the info online if it doesn't come to me through somebody i know! :) I'll keep you posted, though!

Joanna Reynolds said...

I wish I could reap the rewards of all your hard work...and am very jealous of all the good stuff your neighbors will be getting. Looking forward to how it goes with your garden...learning a lot through you!

Anonymous said...

OK I LOVE THAT BOY!!! That should be a TV series title! I do know that the longer you leave the carrots in the bigger they get, and the bigger the stalks above ground get. You will be able to kind of see the top of the carrot where the green attaches if it is really big, also the green begins to get "scraggly"(a mom word). The corn will be obevious to you. It gets larger until it begins to dry up. You will be too anxious to let it get to that point. You can peel back a little husk to see the kernals if they are plump and ripe. I don't know what kind of onions you are growing, but you will be able to tell. Just be patient! I imagine your little farmers will discover it for you.....and surprise you with offerings along the way, not having the patience to wait! One thing I learned the other night at Bible Study is the value of teaching your children delayed gratification.....what a natural lesson this is for Hannah and Jonny! You are awesome! I love you, Mom.