Thursday, June 18, 2009

Vacation in California

We're back in Cali and enjoying being with Josh's parents. A couple of observations that I've had since I've been here...
1. There are a lot of cars.
2. There are so many beautiful flowers and foliage that I've never noticed.
3. Palm trees! :) I've grown up with palm trees my whole life and never enjoyed looking at them--until now! They are so cool!
4. Hannah and Jonny playing together like they used too--they used to rely on each other for so much of their entertainment and friendship, but back in Indy, we have so many kids in the neighborhood, that Hannah, especially, spends much of her time playing with friends in the neighborhood leaving Jonny in the dust. This makes this vacation all the more precious and special--seeing them enjoy each other for long periods of time. So cool.
5. I've never wanted the doors open so much. In Indy, you throw open all of the windows and doors and rush out to play when the weather is nice, because you don't know how long it will last. When we walked into Josh's parents house, the first thing I did (after using the "necessary") was ask if I could open their back door and let in the fresh breeze. I never celebrated the beautiful weather of California with so much appreciation. It truly is beautiful.
6. The beach is a novelty to the kids. Caleb, I realized, hasn't played in the sand. He did not like the feeling of it on his feet. He was afraid, but fascinated by the ocean. He enjoyed chasing the birds. I missed the smell and the sound of the ocean. I missed digging for sand crabs. I don't miss beach hair. :)

Anyway, the kids have adjusted perfectly to the timezone and are loving being here with Grandma and Grandpa. My heart is light and at peace.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I cannot tell you how hard it is not to just drive up there, I mean you are only like 20 minutes from my work... Good thing I have some self control these days, or I might come steal the kiddos :)
Can't wait till Sunday!

sfitz said...

WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!! "How many more naps?" as Ben asks everyday. :-)

And PS. It IS wonderful here, isn't it? Perhaps wonderful enough to move back one day?????? You never know!

CO3 said...

My wife is awesome! She surprised me with a custom frame for a print that I have had for years of an artists rendition of the Hawaiian Islands, (when Captain James Cook rediscovered the Islands) Anyway, it was a great Father's Day gift; thank you Lol! I miss my family terribly and can't wait to see them (and some of you) next week. I love you Lolly, Hannah, Jonny, & Caleb. Daddy.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see you!! Soooo glad you are having a good visit!! And cannot wait to reconnect in person!!