My heart was heavy as we approached this Christmas season. In a society that is enamored with things, how would my celebration be different from those who don’t know Jesus? How do I separate myself and my children from the ever-present temptation to love things? How do I give gifts without feeding another’s addiction to possessions? As I wrestled with these things, the Spirit brought to remembrance these words: “to the pure, all things are pure.” Truly, and simply, it is a matter of the heart. My motive in giving is more important to God than the gift itself.
This Christmas I continually remind myself that the gifts I give and receive are a tool by which I celebrate God’s perfectly executed plan to save the world through the miraculous birth, life, death, and resurrection of His Son, Jesus. I’m not celebrating the snow, or nostalgic remembrances, or presents wrapped under a beautifully lit tree—if indeed, I am pure, then these things will merely assist in creating an atmosphere wherein I wholeheartedly give myself over to the worship of Him whose name I bear. This Christmas, I am free to give gifts as an act of worship, reflecting the giving nature of God, revealed in Jesus, who willingly and open-handedly gave up His Heavenly throne, all earthly possessions, and His whole life to the will of the Father, for His love of all people. In joy, I honor Him and imitate Him as I give, remembering His life, death, resurrection, and return.
And as I receive, may I do so in worship, receiving, a faint shadow of the joy and comfort of God’s great gift to mankind, Jesus, the One who gave up His life to save the world.
And my Christmas prayer for all of the family of God, is that we would all celebrate Him with freedom, joy, and love—from pure hearts.
To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. ~Titus 1:15
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wow... thanks for that Lol! I am so blessed by this and so happy to join in this prayer. XOXO
This is a message that feeds my soul! Thank you for sharing this with us! LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment