I was tempted to feel VERY sorry for myself when Hannah got sent home from school today due to the nurse having discovered more lice. Sigh. I prayed, "God, help me not to feel sorry for myself." We got some movies. We came home and started the lice-killing process. The homeopathic olive-oil-saturate-those-little-buggers-and-die approach! Which means we had to sit around with oil-soaked hair for 6 hours before any combing could begin. So you know what we did? We spent some quality time together (a recent prayer request of mine--hmm...be careful what you ask for :) painting and making some great progress on a home-made Christmas gift we've been working on--AND I discovered that Hannah could REALLY help me (not just 'pretend' help when you make up a job to teach the child and help them feel useful)! As we sat and painted together, I realized that if she'd been at school, I would have been bored working on it alone, with Jonny and Caleb begging for my attention. When I realized this, she and I talked about how it was a blessing instead of a curse! I also shared with her the infamous story of Betsy, in Corrie ten Boom's autobiography, "The Hiding Place" when Betsy gives thanks to the Lord for the fleas and Corrie protests, "There is no way that God could make me grateful for a flea!" They later discover that the fleas are the very reason that they were able to host a Bible study every night, without ever being discovered by the guards--the guards would never come near their flea-infested barracks. We laughed and thanked God for her lice, and for the precious chance to be together.
Give thanks. In all circumstances.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Lolly, You inspire me! I just love you so much!
I am not yet to the point of being thankful for the lice; but I am most thankful for my wife, who tirelessly and sacrificially worked to help Hannah through this ordeal, and still managed to greet me with a smile when I came home from work each day. Thank you for all the hard work and love that you pour into our family; I am a better father to our children because of you...after 9 years of marriage (to the day), I am more in love with you today than the day we met. I certainly count my blessings...Happy Anniversary Lol.
Joshua
OH what a lovely story to share with Hannah. I think i would have mega creepy crawlies if i was de-licing my little lady's hair, but how fantastic you decided NOT to feel sorry for yourself but to appreciate the time with Hannah.
and what a squishy comment from Josh!!
Post a Comment