Saturday, August 16, 2008

Since the Road Trip

Hannah and Madelin (neighbor's granddaughter)

Caleb just gets me...too cute under that table!


"The Web" on the playground at Heritage Christian School. You can also see part of the "ark" that the kids play in! See Hannah and Jonny at the top?! Yikes!


Well, it's been another full and fulfilling week. We've enjoyed a lot of time with our neighbors this week and still find ourselves amazed and thankful for how God has blessed us in this place. Here's just a little sampling of our week:

Monday--returned from Alabama. Drove all day and ate my weight in willy-wonka candy.

Tuesday--up and at 'em early for Hannah's interview at Heritage Christian School. Accepted, enrolled, and assigned a teacher (sweet Miss Courter)! Invited for pizza nite at the Simons' house (diagnal across the street from us)--they have 2 teenage daughters who play with all of the kids--we love them!

Wednesday--Can't remember what I did, but Josh met his new boss and went to dinner w/ him...that went well!


Thursday--mellow day. Went to a Heritage New Family orientation dinner and met Hannah's teacher and played on the really cool playground...you' can see the picture of the kids on the amazing "web".


Friday--decided to explore outside of our little neighborhood and took the kids to a sprinkler park about a mile from our house...it was super fun! They have tons of spinney things there...merry-go-round-esque toys, huge round disc swings (look like big snow discs suspended by four ropes), crazy climber poles, and of course, sprinklers! The kids had a ton of fun, and Caleb did too...I let him sample "yella-melon" and he's a huge fan! Friday afternoon, a friend from the neighborhood invited us to join them for dinner (along w/ about 6 other famlies) at our neighborhood pool. We swam and ordered pizzas--and had a great time getting to know a lot of families in our community.


Saturday--Uncle Phil and Aunt Sharon came up this afternoon and Josh grilled some tritrip--yummy! Sharon brought homemade blueberry pie (in her adorable pie-carrier that my mom bought her!) and it was delicious! After a very yummy lunch, we took some patio furniture to the front yard to enjoy the gorgeous weather and watch the kids play. The adults also had an Olympic round of Bocce Ball, where the men took the gold, by just a slight lead 10-7. Poor Sharon was stuck w/ me for her teammate, and my Bocce skills leave a little something to be desired. Don't worry, Sharon! I'll be ready next time!
My tummy is still stuffed from an impromptu dinner at The Woods' house--Malerie's family (Hannah's good friend who lives across the street). After Phil and Sharon left, we wandered across the street to watch the kids play in our neighbors' playsets. The Woods invited us to join them for dinner, so we just walked over and the party kept going! The Yamaguchi's were also there and we all had a good time. We are growing to love our neighbors and more and more pray for God to give us opportunities to share the good news with them. We feel so blessed to have such kind, welcoming neighbors, but we long for them to know the love of Jesus and to share that with them, too. Please pray for us to be bold and for the Holy Spirit to accomplish His work in us and in this community.

p.s. just because I'm making new friends doesn't mean I don't LOVE the friends I already have!!! I just finished setting up the guest bedroom--it's super cute and super cozy, and every time I pass it, I imagine the many friends that I hope will come and occupy it! I miss you SO MUCH!!! Please, please, please come visit us!!! :) ALL OF YOU ARE WELCOME ANYTIME!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the PS. Just so you YOU know, I'm refusing to make any new friends, even if they invite me over for dinner every night of the week. I just simply refuse their offer and shuffle off in a stupor.

Anonymous said...

lol, you hang out with more new friends in Indiana than I even know in all of Ladera! All free time we have in spent with Sarah to try and get her out of this stupor she finds herself in when she misses you, which is a lot!
:)
We all do!
Caleb is so stinkin' cute.
Your mom has said that she will write up the contract for both of us to sing saying that if you add another Caruana to the gang David and I will add a Wilson :) Run that one by Josh and let me know how it goes.
Yeah for Hannah getting into that school. When is her first day?
XOXO
PS... about to go eat some of the cookie dough, Yummo!

Lolly Caruana said...

Wendy, I love you for being the fun and extremely thoughtful sister and friend that you are. You have blessed me and Sarah so much! Thank you dear friend!!! Maybe you guys could start a small group! :) heehee

Anonymous said...

i LOVE homemade pie! what a fun week! i'm so happy that dinner with Josh's new boss went well too. it sounds like you are really making some attempts to get outside and meet people and embrace your new journey. i'm so glad. i have no doubt about you guys meeting many new friends!

Grandmommy said...

OK I love your neighbors....a little jealous of Jan getting to babysit in my place!!! But am glad you have someone so sweet next door. AND I want to see a picture of "our" new bedroom. Dad and I agree that you MAY NOT go on any road trips ever again if you take pictures while DRIVING across bridges. Just a little scarey!! What were you thinking? I know you were just crazed after driving by yourself, but not a good way to stay awake!!:) I do think Dear looks so pretty in these pics. She is always so photogenic. Dad says that Caleb is soooooooo cute!! His smile is just so contagious. And YES we need 2 more...:) Hannah we hope your first day at school is AMAZING! And we are praying for lots of good friends. Have a great day Angel. Hey Jonny. You have fun today with your Mommy. You were so High on that spider web!WOW! Call me OK? I love you all. Mom