Thursday, August 28, 2008

Summer's Over

The sun is waking up slowly (kinda like our whole family) around these parts. Some trees are already changing colors and fall is slowly creeping in. Most folks around here dread the winter and I guess it's starting to psyche me out, cuz this morning when I walked outside and felt a slight cool breeze (signaling the coming of my favorite season), it made me cringe. Maybe it's just the reality that my summer fun is over and it's back to a strict routine. Maybe it's the reminder that I'm not in California anymore (and if I was, fall wouldn't be around for at least 2 more months). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm still not adjusted to getting up at 6:15 and walking downstairs IN THE DARK. Yea. We haven't even "fallen" back yet and it's freakin pitch black at 6 in the morning. I love that it stays light so late, but the definite downside is the morning darkness. Not my fave. Anyway, it seems that people's emotions out here, unlike southernCal, are much more linked to the weather. Or maybe people everywhere are affected by weather, but I just didn't notice it as much in Cali since there isn't much variation. Sorry to bore you with my musings, I know they're not original or enlightening; they are my thoughts, nonetheless.
Jonny had a couple of quotable moments this week:
1. Because of some bad experiences on his old piece-o-junk-bike, he demands that I hold onto his handle bars when he rides. The other day I grew tired of stooping over his handle bars and assured him that he would be okay on his NEW bike.
"NO MOM!!! DON'T LET GO OF ME!!! I'M ALLERGIC TO FALLING!!!!"
2. A neighbor was playing in our backyard w/ Jonny and he accidentally called her "Hannah." When he realized that he'd said the wrong name and didn't know her real name, was he embarrassed? No, not Jonny. He just yelled, "YOU! Hey YOU! COME HERE, YOU!!!" You might've done the same thing in his shoes. Her name is pronounced Ka-hee-ow (I have no idea how it's really spelled). Just in case you're wondering, it's Hawaiian.

This weekend was great. Saturday morning Josh took Hannah on a Daddy/Daughter date. They had a great time at sushi and miniature golf and the pool. Jonny was NOT happy about Hannah getting to go off on a special day with Daddy. I promised him that he and I would also do something special. He didn't buy it.
"Is Caleb coming???" he demanded.
"Yes. Just you and me and Caleb!" I enthused.
"Then it's NOT SPECIAL!" he huffed. This could've hurt my feelings, but I was too impressed that he wasn't fooled by my efforts to distract him. My admiration quickly dissolved as I realized the gauntlet he'd laid before me. Did he just question the Queen of Fun?!! My competitive nature kicked in. If I said it was going to be a special day, then, daggomit, it would be special! My original plan (to go to Toys R Us and play with him and the Thomas Train sets) was abandoned. This has got to be good. Momentous. A day that will go down in the history of fun. Where does a parent take their kids for some spontaneous-extra-special fun? Where a kid can be a kid...and a parent can go crazy. Jonny's determination to pout was no match for the big cheese. We had a great time, just the three of us.

Saturday nite we hosted a spontaneous ice cream social on our driveway and passed out ice cream cones to all of our neighbors. It was a ton of fun. Hannah and Malerie had a sleepover that night, too.

Sunday we went to church, went to the pool, and Josh played a half-round of golf w/ the neighborhood dads. He'll have to tell about the most amazing shot of his life.
I'm exhausted and can't keep my head up to finish this post. I've got plenty more to write about, but not the mind to do it...enjoy these videos of my precious boys. Check out the gorgeous sunburst maple in our backyard!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I was so overjoyed to see this new post this morning! And Lolly, let me tell you, it did not disappoint! Ahhh, Seasons... yeah we don't see those here like you guys will there. Good luck with those!
Ok... Jonny and allergic to falling??? Are you kidding? I am so glad you are blogging these moments!
I love that for a daddy/Hannah date they go for sushi! That is too funny. It that big for 6 year olds in Indiana, or is that more of a Cali thing?
Glad to hear the Queen of Fun did not disappoint! That Jonny is a smart one. You may have trouble on your hands in a couple of years with him. And I will love hearing all about it.
Caleb is huge. My goodness... that last time I held him he was still a squishy little baby, now he is a big walker. It is so amazing how fast times goes by. 85 days and counting till we see you! Can't wait! XOXO
Oh... i swear you guys are right out of a movie with that ice cream social in the front yard! Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh one more thing... The video of jonny singing was amazing. I want to have it on my phone so I can play it whenever I need a good pick me up. I love that he picked Ben as the friend he missed from Cali... although... "he WAS a good friend"? Owch... good thing Ben is not old enough for that to sting a little. :) Just kidding! XOXO

Anonymous said...

OK, Wendy always beats me to the blog!! I went to comment and found 2 not 1 but 2 already here. I ditto everything she says! THANK YOU for sharing. It is just so much fun to see them. It kind of seems like a visit.(but still just a "cheap imitation of the real thing!" :) Anyway, Thank you Jonny for singing our song! It is so much fun to hear and see you. I miss hearing it when we would be in the car together, so now I will have it to play when I am really missing you. You are precious to my heart...and a good friend too. Lolly, Dad and I talked with Pat and Lauraine today. Sounds like they had soooo much fun, and have a thousand pictures to share. We are going to try to meet sometime this week. They said how fun it was to talk to you and Jonny this morning and Caleb. YOU are also precious to my heart and good for my soul. I love you, Mom/Grandmommy

Anonymous said...

"WAS a good friend"? Ben's not dead, just far away!! Watch your tenses young lady. Adorable all around other than that little slip up. We love you guys!!!! :-)