Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cold Feet and King Size Beds and my Little Trash Digger

When I was in my third trimester, prego with Jonathan, I had difficulty sleeping if I could feel any part of my body touching Josh. {Enter the king-sized bed}.
I don't know how I slept comfortably before that. Our bed is exceptionally wide for a king, so wide, in fact, that I can reach out my arms perfectly horizontal and still not touch Josh when we're laying in bed. I've come to love this fact about our bed and I lovingly refer to Josh's side as the "west coast." {Enter midwest Winter}.
Holy smokes was it cold last night! When I approached my side of the bed, Josh asked me if my feet were cold. I told him, "Yeah, they're freezing." He invited me to visit his side of the bed, a very rare invitation, indeed, and we shivered under the covers for quite some time until the majority of our appendages were adequately warmed. I don't think we've ever snuggled so long, and I rather liked it. If this winter keeps it up, I might actually consider downsizing to a queen bed.

On other topics, I just downloaded my pictures from Christmas and saw just how infrequently I actually picked up my camera while I was in Cali. The moments I captured were precious, but there were so many great moments that I didn't document, and will probably forget 10 years from now. Mom, April, Wendy, Lauraine...want to email me some pictures???

Today Caleb had an unusual fascination with the objects that lay hidden within our kitchen trashcan. Perhaps it was just a lucky trash-digger day for him. Our kitchen floor was sparkling clean because Josh had the house cleaned while we were gone. This morning, I rounded the kitchen island to find him swishing his hands around in a giant pile of coffee grounds that he'd discovered in the once-full-coffee filter I'd discarded the night before. Lovely. He thrust his hands about with great gusto, enjoying the swirl patterns he could make. He wasn't too happy when I snatched him up and pulled out my dustbuster. Later this afternoon, he pulled out a carton of recently emptied egg-shells and slung the dripping egg-whites all about the floor. Awesome. His last and most notable discovery took place while I was busy preparing a meal for a friend. He'd been wandering about the kitchen with a not-so-happy whine, when I finally noticed the happy cooing sounds coming from, wouldn't you guess it, the trashcan. I came around the corner and found him sitting amidst a pile of trash and a large plastic bucket on his head. While this was mildly funny, what was NOT was the pool of melted ice cream that had run down his head, pajamas, and was collecting on the floor behind him. Before I let myself get too annoyed, I actually remembered to pull out the camera and snapped a shot of a not-so-funny moment for me.

Boy, am I glad I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post and LOVE you! And if this winter keeps up, maaaaaaaybe we'll find ourselves with another Caruana to love, eh? All that "cuddling" and all. :-) Love you friend and miss you already!

Wendy said...

OOOoooo... I second that thought Sarah. :)
I am so glad you took a picture. classic caleb.
uploading the picts i have to your costco account now... mmm... that is if i remember your username and password. Email me that again if you can. Thanks