Saturday, January 10, 2009

Kids say the Darndest Things

Last night at dinner, Jonny, in his usual, unprompted, funny way, asked everyone,

"Who's weird?"

Josh and I gave each other a quick, smiling glance, and we both raised our hands. Jonny looked back at us with an incredulous look on his face and exclaimed,

"Daddy! You're not weird!!!"

Josh and I burst out laughing. It didn't take him long to figure out why, and then he determined that ALL girls are weird. And Josh agreed. And Hannah protested that boys are weird, and that they drool, and that girls rule. And I agreed. So there.

This morning we built the coolest train track. Together, Josh and I figured out how to use almost every piece of track (minus a half piece and a dead end piece) and we considered ourselves pretty much genius. Halfway through our construction I realized that Josh and I were much more entertained than the kids. Josh and I love puzzle-type projects and we make a pretty good team, I must say. Thankfully, I took some footage of it, cuz when we went back down to the basement this evening, Jonny had demolished our masterpiece. It took us a little while to get over the shock. Why, Jonny, why???! Isn't that just it, though??? As Kenton used to say, "When the game's over it all goes back in the box." I hate that.

Tonite I took Hannah on a date to Starbucks and we had dessert together and I read to her out of her new favorite book (thanks, Grandmommy!) a collection of classical children's stories from Hans Christian Andersen, Aesop, and the Grimm Brothers. We've almost read the whole thing over the past few days. I took her on the date to congratulate her for an outstanding report card and to just let her know how much I love being with her. She's been doing so great in school, and told me yesterday how she quoted her "other" Bible verse to her teacher.

"Not our school Bible verse, but the one you taught me yesterday."

"How did that come up?" I asked.

"Ms. Courter was talking about who we follow and I told her that I had learned a Bible verse about the very same thing! She asked me what it was and I remembered the whole thing, even the extra part!"

"You mean the reference? Wow, Hannah. That's awesome."

"Let me tell it to you so I don't forget! Proverbs 13:20--Those who walk with the wise become wise. Those who walk with fools suffer harm. Ms. Courter asked me where I'd learned that, and I told her that you taught it to me at home yesterday and she said that I learned it really fast! And I didn't even hear our school verse until today, but I heard the other kids say it, and I learned it and said it perfectly! Here, let me tell it to you--Train a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not turn from it! I did it! I'm so good at remembering Bible verses."

Can't you just picture her innocent enthusiasm? She is too sweet to describe. What a precious girl.

One last Jonny moment from a couple of nights ago: Jonny was having trouble falling asleep and came down to Josh and I, where we were sitting on the couch.

"What are you doing?" Jonny asked.

"Mommy and I are praying and reading our Bible." Josh said.

"Why?"

Josh whispered, "Because Jesus told us to search for Him like for a hidden treasure," with a hint of mystery in his voice.

Jonny looked around the room expectantly, then quickly turned his face back to us, having just had an idea.

"It's just like the sheep song!" he exclaimed.

"What song?" Josh asked.

"Jeeeesus, Lamb of God, worthy is Your Na-aaame" Jonny sang.

It took Josh a moment to understand and then,

"Ooohh." Together they continued,

"You are my strength when I am weak, You are the treasure that I seek, You are my all in aaaall. Seeking You as a precious jewel, but to give up I'd be a fool, You are my all in all."

That's been Jonny's theme song as of late. I love watching his eyes light up the moment he first understands. I bet God does, too.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

That last jonny story made me tear up a bit. Too precious!
I wish I had Hannah's memory. That might just be a spiritual gift of hers. I was so blessed by your guys story on Christmas Day, especially Hannah's part. She stood there and recited her verses and it was just something I know will stick in my memory as one of her most precious moments. Those kiddos do say the best things ever!